Five Star Parkway Win U18 Cup

Plymouth Parkway Youth hit five goals in their win over Tiverton Town U18 on Sunday to win the Wotton Printers Devon U18 Youth Cup

Wotton Printers Devon Under 18 Youth Cup Final

Plymouth Parkway  5 - 2   Tiverton Town

Played at Coach Road, Newton Abbot 16/04/2023

After a quiet start, during which there was only the one attempt at goal, a 6th minute shot from Tiverton’s Reece Miles that went wide, it was Tiverton who struck first. In the 10th minute a free kick from Alfie Down caused confusion in the Parkway six yard box and the loose ball was slotted home from almost on the goal line by Jack Carpenter.

From the restart Parkway pushed forward seeking an equaliser and, in the 14th minute, it duly arrived. Dylan Jones won a corner which was played in from the left by Jacob Smith. Jones challenge caused some confusion in the six yard box, and a poor clearance was lashed home from the edge of the penalty area by Colby Collier.

Tiverton were playing patiently from the back, trying to settle themselves down when they lost the ball in midfield. It was swept out to Jones who burst through the defence to bring a great save from Ollie Saunders in the Tiverton goal. The resulting corner came to naught; Parkway being penalised for some pushing spotted by referee Michael Maloney.

The resultant free kick was played through to the midfield but, once again they were robbed of the ball, which was played through to Jones who ghosted past two defenders and with the outside of his boot was able to role the ball into the path of onrushing Callum Woodman who gleefully rolled it home. Twenty minutes gone with the score now two one to Parkway.

In the 22nd minute Miles had a good chance to make it three one. Jones won free kick just outside the box to the left which Miles hit with some power past the Tiverton wall but straight into the arms of Saunders.

Jones was proving to be a real thorn in the side of the Tiverton defence and in the 31st minute he got his reward, pouncing on a poor attempt to play the ball out and blasting his shot across Saunders into the far corner.

In the 42nd minute Jones looked odds on to double his tally but manage to slide his shot past the near post with the goal at his mercy. Half time came with the score now three - one to Parkway.

From the restart Tiverton were first to show, a long ball from the right being headed to safety by Parkway keeper Darren England as the Tiverton forwards bore down on goal.

In the 51st minute Parkway’s Charlie Castlehouse thought he had converted Jacob Smith’s free kick floated to the near post, but his joy was short-lived as he turned see the offside flag had been raised.

Jones appeared to have been singled out for some rough treatment and was left limping on several occasions. It did Tiverton no good however as, on the hour mark, Stan Jenkins on the halfway line had the ball nicked off him by Smith, who floated a cross-field pass for Jones to control and chip his shot over Saunders for his second and his team fourth goal.

In the 65th minute it was Collier’s turn grab a second. Jones played the ball down the left to Castlehouse who pulled a low cross back to the six yard box where Collier was waiting to slot into the corner, giving Saunders no chance..

In the 68th minute Jenkins almost got one back for Tiverton as he raced into the six yard box got away a shot towards the far post only to see it cleared off the line.

Tiverton, to their credit, kept playing their brand of football, seeking to find a way through a resolute Parkway defence and in the 64th minute they got a goal back. Charlie Palmer intercepted a loose pass, wriggled through the Parkway defence at pace and blasted a shot across England into the far corner.

With a minute of normal time remaining Tiverton had the chance of a third, which would have added a bit of respectability to the score line. Charlie Palmer raced through the left side of the Parkway defence, passed inside to Jake Johnson who scuffed his shot and England gathered easily.

There were 4 minutes of added time, but no further incident and Mr Maloney brought proceedings to a close with the final score Plymouth Parkway 5; Tiverton Town 2.

Player of the Match – Dylan Jones (Plymouth Parkway)

Written by Dennis Smith.