Shoot Out Victory Keeps Brunel Cup Alive

Devon rise to the occasion as penalty shoot-out victory over Cornwall keeps the Brunel Cup Competition alive.

The Brunel Cup

   Devon Under 18s Boys  1 – 1 Cornwall Under 18s Boys

(3 - 0 on penalties)

Played at Devon County FA Headquarters, Coach Road, Newton Abbot, 20.03.2022

This third match of the Brunel Cup series got off to a bad start for Devon as within 12 minutes they had lost the right side of their defence. Right wing back Pete Mwaro (Brixham AFC Youth picked up an ankle injury in the second  minute and was replaced by Ryan Johns-Kiado) (Torquay Academy). 10 minutes later Owen Hanks (Feniton) suffered a nosebleed and had to be substituted. Nevertheless, the Devon defence held firm and with Johns-Kiado taking on the wing back duties he soon became a thorn in the side of the Cornwall defence.

In a very even half of few chances Devon finished on top, scoring in the 45th minute through Theo Cadby (Torquay United Youth)  who bulleted home a header from an Alfie Hudd (Elmore AFC) cross.  He’d had a good chance five minutes before but failed to make good contact with a cross from Johns-Kiado. Other than that, it was a half with few chances, the best falling to Cornwall. In the 20th minute Charlie Elkington (Saltash) drew a good save from Lloyd Marshall (Elmore AFC) in the Devon goal. That was followed in the 24th minute by Cam Hutchison (Camelford) lifting a good chance over the bar.

Neither team seemed able to string a series of passes together in a dour opening half which ended with Devon just about deserving the one goal lead.

Devon started the second half strongly and had two good chances to extend their lead denied by the Cornwall custodian Leo Summers (Helston). Within a minute of the restart, he was called into action to deny Harvey Dorothy (Topsham Town). That was followed three minutes later by an excellent save with the feet to deny Cadby.

Both teams were warming to the task and with Cornwall having strengthened their attack from the bench in the interval they started to take the game to their hosts.  However, Johns-Kiado was finding more space out on the right and was almost rewarded in the 72nd minute, a cross-cum-shot swinging in and hitting the bar. Cornwall might have found it difficult to recover had that gone in. However, in the 80th minute they drew level. Leo Best (St Austell) sending in a cross from Devon’s exposed left flank giving Harry Phillips (Truro City) a chance he couldn’t miss. He didn’t, so it was all square at one goal apiece going into the last ten minutes.

Cornwall’s tails were up and two minutes after bringing his team level Phillips had a chance to put his team ahead. It was a difficult one and he couldn’t quite get the header down below the Devon bar. With three minutes remaining Best drew a great save from Marshall that kept the scores level and so, for the second time in the day the destination of the point was decided from the penalty spot, Cornwall failing with their first three whilst Devon scored theirs.

That brings the competition score to 2 – 1 in favour of Cornwall with 3 games remaining. Under 16s and Under 18s Girls at Newquay on April 2nd followed by the Man on May 11th at St Blazey.

Star Player – Ryan Johns-Kiado (Devon)

Devon Squad:-

1 Lloyd Marshall

2 Pete Mwaro

3 Tom Burt

4 Owen Hanks

5 Daniel Preece

6 George Jones

7 Henry Woodward

8 Alfie Hudd

9 Theo Cadby

10 Harvey Dorothy

11 Sam Cottrell

12 Tor Swann

13 Lewis Brooks

14 Tate Breslan-Aggrey

15 Billy Turl

16 Ryan Johns-Kiado

17 Ben Hopkins.


Written by Dennis Smith

Devon County FA