Terrific Tamar Comeback To Win Sunday Senior Cup

A stunning late comeback from Tamar View resulted in penalty shootout glory on Sunday as they defeated Queen & Constitution

Stitch 3 Sixty Devon Sunday Senior Cup Final

Tamar View Sunday 1st   2 (4 v 3) 2   Queen and Constitution

Played at Coach Road, Newton Abbot 10/04/2022

Following a minutes silence in memory of a long-time supporter Queen and Constitution, returning to Coach Road to defend the trophy they won in 2021, were soon on top in this game. In the 4th minute a heavy challenge by Tamar’s Josh Zimmerman on Queen’s Baga Mariko resulted in an early yellow card for Zimmerman and a free kick some 30 yards out for Queen. The kick was floated deftly into the box by Ashley Piggott and deflected to Danny Zallick who lashed it into the far corner giving Tamar keeper Lewis Choak no chance. One nil to Queen’s.

Although Queen had most of the possession, with Ryan Bass and Mariko gaining the upper hand, the remaining 40 minutes or so became a competitive battle for midfield supremacy with few chances created. The best of these fell to Queen’s Jack Clarke whose powerful shot from the left corner of the box was well saved by Choak at the near post. Half time came with the score still one nil in favour of Queen and Constitution.

Tamar started the second half on the front foot and in the 51st minute had a good chance to level through Jordan Hogan whose cross shot from the edge of the box flew just over. Two minutes later they should have drawn level, Lloyd Quinlan heading just over when well placed with only keeper Bailey Sheldon to beat. It looked as if they would rue those missed chances as in the 62nd minute Queen doubled their advantage, Mariko latching on to a square ball from Tornado Bello to drive in from the edge of the box.

A minute later it could have been three as a sweeping move ended with Ray Spear shooting wide. Queen were well on top now and two more chances came and went which eventually came back to bite them. In the 64th minute Bello had his shot at the near post turned for a corner by Choak.

In the 71st minute Ryan Bass, who had run miles for his team had cramped up and had to be replaced. Then in the 72nd minute Choak did well to deny Bello again, turning his near post header wide.

With 15 minutes remaining Mariko also cramped up and had to be replaced and suddenly Tamar View started to get on top. In the 79th minute Zimmerman cleared the bar from 12 yards when well placed. A minute later Matt Hill had a shot blocked for a corner. Ben Webber swung in the cross right under the bar, and it was headed in for an own goal by Tyler Yendle. Two one now and Tamar on top. In the 82nd minute Hill got on the end of a cross from Hogan but saw his header well saved by Sheldon.

The game moved into 7 minutes of time added on and in the 2nd of those Hill shot wide from the edge of the box. Then, in the fifth minute of added time, Queen gave away an unnecessary free kick wide on the Tamar left wing. The free kick was blocked clear but only as far as Jordan Macdonald who lobbed it back into the six yard box where Kieran Bond headed towards goal, the ball being kept out by a defenders hand. Referee Luke Dennis pointed to the spot and despite having to wait some two minutes Zimmerman coolly slotted the penalty to bring the scores level. One minute later the referee brought the game to an end and the match was decided by kicks from the penalty spot. Tamar View coming out on top by four goals to three, thereby completing a tremendous comeback to take the trophy.

Man of the Match -  Ryan Bass (Queen & Constitution).

Dennis Smith

Devon County FA