Teignmouth Win Veterans Cup

Two quick first-half strikes were enough for Teignmouth to overcome Lakeside

Scott Richards Solicitors Devon Veterans Cup Final

Lakeside Athletic Veterans  0 - 2   Teignmouth Veterans  

Played at Coach Road, Newton Abbot 08/04/2022

Two quick strikes towards the end of the first half were enough for a well organised Teignmouth side to overcome a Lakeside Athletic who, despite having a lot of possession, seemed to lack the guile to break through their opponents back line.

Lakeside kicked off but almost went behind in the third minute, Teignmouth’s Liam McAuley intercepting a loose pass in midfield to power in a shot from 30 yards which flew just past the near post. In the 5th minute Lakeside should have gone ahead, Lee Coxon racing clear on the left driving his shot into the side netting with only Teignmouth custodian, Adam Fay, to beat. The next opportunity came in the 12th minute, Teignmouth’s Billy Binyon seeing his near post header well saved by Matt England in the Lakeside goal.

Teignmouth were gradually winning the midfield battle with Geoff Breslan, screening in front of a defence well marshalled by centre back Dean Coppard. Between them they were stifling the Lakeside passing game. That was until the 23rd minute when Coxon broke through into the box only to fire his shot over from 12 yards.

The rest of the half was all Teignmouth. In the 25th minute Breslan brough a great save out of England but, in truth, there had been little to trouble either of the goalkeepers until then.  Five minute later Breslan swung in a deep corner from the right and McAuley’s shot from close in was cleared off the line by Stuart Berry. In the 40th minute they went ahead, some intricate passing on the left ending with a low cross from Gavin Breslan which McAuley tucked away with aplomb.

Three minutes later it was two nil. McAuley’s right foot shot from the edge of the box was well saved by England, diving to his right but inexplicably, as he set himself to clear up field, he allowed the ball to run away from him, and there was Mark Dyson to take the ball round him and walk it into the empty net.

In the 1st minute of added time the keeper was able to redeem himself, racing out to take the ball off the toe of Dyson as he was shaping to score. So, the teams went into the half time break with Teigns leading by two goals to nil.

The start of the second half became somewhat of a midfield battle with both teams putting in some strong tackles but, it wasn’t until the hour mark that a chance came for Lakeside to reduce the arrears, Coxon laying the ball off for Danny Bance, who couldn’t keep his shot down.

Both teams were making changes using the repeat substitution system as tired legs started to cramp up and, with 20 minutes left, Lakeside missed another good chance, Rob Eddie firing across Fay but wide of the far post. Another good chance fell to Lakeside in the 79th minute, a deep cross landing at the feet of Jon Morris who failed to hit the target from the edge of the box.

Between those two chances Teignmouth thought they had made the game safe, McAuley lobbing England but, as the ball appeared to enter the empty net it was hooked out by Paul Jago into the arms of England and play continued, the officials deeming that it had not crossed the line. 

Lakeside kept on pressing forward but despite all their possession the final pass just wouldn’t come. Indeed, it was Teignmouth’s Ian Wilkinson who had the last chance, in the 90th minute, cutting through a tired looking defence to draw a good save from England. That was the last meaningful action of an enthralling game, and the referee blew to bring proceedings to a close with Teignmouth taking the spoils by two goals to nil.

Star Player - Dean Coppard (Teignmouth)


Dennis Smith

Devon FA