Webb Fires Otters to Senior Cup Triumph

A hat-trick from Matt Webb saw Ottery St Mary claim the Firewatch Devon Senior Cup on Saturday afternoon

Firewatch Devon Senior Cup Final

Ottery St Mary 2nds 4 – 1 Northam Lions

 Played at Coach Road, Newton Abbot 20/06/2021

Ottery kicked off this encounter and were soon to gain the upper hand as, before the Lions had had time to settle they found themselves a goal down, forty seconds from kick off Tony Cox blasting a shot in at the near post that gave the Lions custodian Peter Ellis no chance.

The next ten minutes were a nightmare for the Lions as they tried desperately to keep the Otters at bay. Ellis pulled off a good save to deny Ben Lawrence and that was followed by a slick one two between Riki Pitter and Sam Pyne whose strike hit a post and was cleared.

The Otters were not to be denied and in the 13th minute Matt Webb pounced on a through ball and rounded Ellis before firing into the empty net. Two nil to the Otters and already it looked as if there was no way back for the Lions. However, with James Bateman and Karne Elphick linking up well in the middle of the park Northam started to gain some measure of control. In the 16th minute Rik Williams had a shot from range well dealt with by Otters keeper Andrew Braddick and two minutes later Bateman ran on to a through ball but volleyed just over the bar.

The game was being played at a fast pace and chances were being created at both ends, the next two falling to the Otters. On 24 minutes Pitter cut inside and Ellis did well to block his shot for a corner which was swung in by Danny Pym, Ellis doing well to punch it clear.

The next 10 minutes it was the Lions on the attack. First, in the 29th minute, a low cross from Jamie Bowden flew across the six yard box with no one able to get a touch. Then, on 32 minutes, Tom Barton got on the end of a cross from the right but couldn’t generate enough power into his header. A minute later Tom Hayne hit a left foot drive from the edge og the box which Braddick dealt with comfortably.

In the last five minutes of the half the Otters Pitter had two good opportunities to increase their lead but missed the target on both occasions. There was one more chance for the Lions before half time Williams blasting a free kick from 30 yards onto the Otters defensive wall and whistle blew for half time with the Otters still leading by two goals to nil.

The second half was a played out at a much more even tempo and it was the Lions who had the first chance when, in the 52nd minute, substitute Joe Grimley headed a cross from the left onto the top of the Otters net. In the 60th minute Elphick saw his shot from the edge of the box well saved by Braddick and then the tide turned. In the 66th minute Webb, who had been largely kept quiet, found himself in the right place at the right time as a shot from Ritter, having drawn a great save from Ellis, landed at his feet and he duly converted to give his side a three goal lead.

Two minutes later Webb was able to complete his hat-trick with a deft chip over Ellis from the edge of the box. Four nil to the Otters and really no way back for the Lions who had contributed much to the game and at least went home with a consolation goal. In the 80th minute they were awarded a penalty which was coolly despatched by Adam Copp.

The last meaningful action came in the 67th minute when Ritter got on the end of a cross from the right only to see his header just clear the Lions cross bar.

And so, Ottery St Mary ran out deserved winners of the 122nd Devon Senior Cup Final.

Man of the Match – Matt Webb (Ottery St Mary)

Dennis Smith

Devon County FA