Spurs Edge Cranbrook in 10 Goal Thriller

The Graddon Vending Devon Under 15 Boys Cup Final was settled on penalties after an amazing 5-5 draw between Newton Spurs & Cranbrook United

Graddon Vending Devon Under 15 Boys Cup Final

Cranbrook United Youth  5 (2) (4) 5    Newton Abbot Spurs Colts

Played at Coach Road, Newton Abbot 19/06/2021

Twenty minutes into this contest no one would have thought that Spurs would be taking home the winners trophies, given that Cranbrook were a goal up in 52 seconds and three goals to the good after the first quarter. Were it the Spurs who were ahead it would have been no surprise as, during that period they had had most of the attacking play and had forced 4 corner kicks. It was the pace of the Cranbrook forwards that brought them early success.

Spurs kicked off but were robbed in midfield by Shay Corrick who raced down the left channel, cut inside and blasted his shot past Will Howard in the Spurs goal before he had time to set himself. Despite that shock start Spurs quickly went onto the attack forcing two corners within the space of two minutes, both of which were well dealt with by Cranbrook’s keeper Ollie Vosper.

In the 5th minute Cranbrook lost their captain Alfie Down to injury and he was replaced by Preston Jackson.

Spurs missed a good chance to equalise in the 11th minute, a free kick floated into the box by Aaron Dodd headed straight at Vosper by Oliver Bellotti.

Cranbrook got their second goal, somewhat against the run of play in the 16th minute, a freekick crossed in from the left volleyed home at the far post by Jayden Meetham. In the 19th minute they were three up, Corrick robbing a defender almost on the goal line the cutting into the six yard box to beat Howard at the near post. Job done you would have thought, but these youth matches are difficult to predict and by half time the deficit had been cut to just one.

In the 33rd minute a Spurs corner from the right was turned into his own net by Zak Winter. Four minutes later Dodd passed on a through ball for Bellotti to stab past Vosper. Three two now and all to play for. Four minutes of added time brought no further goals and both teams went into the break having played their part in an entertaining first half.

The second half started in much the same way as the first, Cranbrook scoring with 3 minutes of the restart, George Wright heading home from a corner. At the other end Gracjan Kolbuszewski won a corner on the right, was first to the ball as it came across but placed his header on to the top of the goal net. In the 48th minute Jack Cole had a chance to make it 5 – 2 for Cranbrook when clean through dragged his shot just wide.

A minute later the Cranbrook lead was reduced to one goal again, Aaron Dodd driving home the rebound after a Kolbuszewski shot was pushed out by Vosper. Kolbuszewski was finding space almost at will and with 20 minutes left broke into the box only to shoot wide. He made amends three minutes later though as he was brought down in the box, James Blain converting the resultant penalty to bring the scores level.

With four minutes left on the clock Corrick saw his shot well saved by Howard and play immediately switched to the other end where Blain hit a fierce drive against the bar.

In the final minute of normal time Spurs went ahead for the first time, Kolbuszewski pouncing on a loose ball, driving into the box and beating Vosper with a low right foot shot. The fourth official then indicated that there would be a minimum of two minutes time added on and with seconds left Dodd conceded a penalty which Corrick converted with aplomb, bringing the final score to five goals apiece.

The result was then determined by kicks from the penalty spot, which Spurs won by four goals to two and a great advert for youth football was brought to a close.

Star Player - Gracjan Kolbuszewski (Newton Abbot Spurs)

Dennis Smith

Devon FA.