Shootout Glory for Phoenix

Plymouth Phoenix collected their 2nd County Cup in 3 days when their Sunday side won 9-8 on penalties against Marjon

Stitch 3 Sixty Devon Sunday Supplementary Cup Final

Plymouth Phoenix 2 (9) v (8) 2 Plymouth Marjon Sun

Played at Coach Road, Newton Abbot 6/6/2021

Having fought back hard to overturn a two nil half time deficit Plymouth Marjon were left to rue their inability to complete the comeback as the spoils went to Phoenix, albeit by way of a penalty shoot-out.

Plymouth Phoenix, who’s over 35s team had won the Devon Veterans cup only 36 hours before, were looking to complete a double and took the game to Marjon from the kick-off. They won a corner within 30 seconds which came to naught and in the third minute had a good chance to go ahead when Owen Pritchard put in a good cross from the left which Ash White headed wide when well placed at the edge of the six yard box.

That miss could have proven costly as at the other end Marjon’s Elliot Cunningham won a free kick which was blasted over the Phoenix crossbar, conceding the free kick earning an early yellow card for Taylor Owen.

Already the game was opening up with Marjon getting slightly the better of possession but unable to create any clear cut chances. Phoenix took heart from this and started to exert some pressure of their own. In the 26th minute they went ahead, David Moore hitting a shot from just outside the box which somehow deceived Kieran Richards in the Marjon goal.

The patterns of play were becoming clearer as Marjon played more quickly from back to front whilst Phoenix preferred the passing game through midfield, which should have resulted in a second for them in the 30th minute, Taylor Scarff bursting through from halfway to swing an inviting cross onto the head of Moore who drew a brilliant point blank save from Richards.

Phoenix were on top now and in the 40th minute doubled their advantage. White found good position down the right flank and chipped his pass perfectly over the Marjon defence to make no mistake in beating the onrushing Richards. Two nil to the Phoenix as the half time break approached.

In the first of two minutes of added time Phoenix had their chance to make the game safe. White, bursting through the Marjon defence yet again, was pulled down by Brandon Jones who received a yellow card for his trouble, placing his free kick from 22 yards over the defensive wall but just wide of the far post.

Phoenix started the second half on the front foot looking to get that third goal but Marjon weathered the storm and started to create attacks of their own. In the 55th minute Jeff Miller pounced on a loose ball and from 25 yards placed his shot past an unsighted Kieran Hall low into the far corner. Two one now and all to play for as Phoenix continued to push forward in search of that illusive third goal.

Despite have more of the play a clear chance wouldn’t come their way and in the 63rd minute Marjon broke out of defence and with on simple pass down the line on the right found Elliot Cunningham who gave Hall no chance with a right foot shot to the far corner of the net. Two goals apiece now but Phoenix heads did not drop as they continued to play their brand of football despite the heavy rain staring to fall.

In the 77th minute Scott Dyer on for the second half had a clear sight of goal from the edge of the box only for Richards to parry his shot to safety. That was probably the best chance for either team to win the match and with the score at two-two at full time the winners were decided by kicks from the penalty spot, 19 of which were taken before Hall saved the 20th taken by Aston Walker to give his team the trophy

Star Player - Elliot Cunningham (Plymouth Marjon)

Dennis Smith

Devon County FA.