We'd like to congratulate Witheridge Football Club on reaching their 100th birthday, since the club were formed in 1921.
Devon FA officials, Paul Morrison, Tom Sampson and Dennis Smith made the journey to East Devon to present Club Secretary, Chris Cole, and Club Groundsman, Peter Cole with their Centenary Award.
Below is a brief history on the club and their 100 year journey to get where they are today:
Many of those who served in the 1914-1918 war found a taste for football in the Armed Services, so when it was over it was no surprise that in Autumn 1920, the South Molton Gazette reported that "Efforts are being made to form a football club for Witheridge. At a well-attended public meeting, it was announced that Mr W Chappel of Bytham would provide a suitable field. Collectors were appointed to obtain funds, and a committee was elected to arrange a dance to be held in aid of the funds. Three weeks later the Gazette reported that the "attempt to inaugurate a football club for Witheridge had been successful".
A meeting was held in the Church Room, when it was decided to enrol members and elect officers, where president and vice-president were elected.
Until the Sports Field was available in 1976, the club had to reply on the generosity of lical farmers for a field. Venues over the years included fields on either side of the village belonging to Maunders, a field down Muxey Lane and another further down, near Yeo Woods.
Nicknamed ‘Withy’, they are now based at Edge Down Park. The 1st team play their football in the Devon & Exeter Football league Division 4, whilst the 2nd team play in the Devon & Exeter League Division 6.
Facilities at Edge Down Park include: Floodlit pitch and training pitch, 2 seated stands which can accommodate 150 people, as well as covered standing area: with an overall capacity of 2000, spacious changing rooms and a clubhouse serving both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.
They recently won the A&S Paving Devon Intermediate Cup Final at Coach Road, beating Brixham Town 2-1 in the final.