Farway Seal Intermediate Cup

A game of two halves resulted in penalties, where Farway were victorious, despite a spirited Bishops Blaize comeback

A & S Paving Devon Intermediate Cup Final

Farway FC  2 v 2  Bishops Blaize (pens 5 – 4 )

Played at Coach Road, Newton Abbot 21/08/2020

This, the first of many Devon County cup finals held over from the 2019-20 season due to the Coronavirus pandemic, was not only the first competitive match that Devon County FA were able to stage, but also the first played on the county’s brand new artificial 3G surface.

Following new guidelines issued by the FA on 19th August a limited number of spectators were able to enjoy a well contested final between these two teams from the Devon and Exeter League.

Farway started the brightest and should have been two up within the first 15 minutes but Bishops keeper Joy performed well to the keep the score at nil – nil. Bishops then had two good chances in the next five minutes, both placed wide of the target.

On 23 minutes Farway thought they had broken the deadlock with a shot into the far corner from Billy Reid, disallowed for offside. Reid was proving to be a thorn in the side of the Bishops defence, and it was no surprise when, having been dumped on his backside, he picked himself up and fired a rasping free kick over the Bishops wall and into the roof of the net from 25 yards leaving Joy grasping at thin air.

Farway went further ahead in stoppage time with a splendid strike from Ollie Reid, who got on the end of a free kick floated in from the left and gave Joy no chance, blasting his shot into the far corner.

Having also hit the post twice Farway were good value for their two goal half time lead.

Bishop’s Blaize came out for the second half with a clear determination to get back into the game and tested Ben Kayes in the Farway goal within two minutes of the restart. Two minutes later they pulled a goal back as a clearance from a Farway corner was taken on by Ethan Matthews whose cross from the left was converted by Matt Finn. Two – one now and all to play for.

In the 59th minute Billy Reid was put through but fluffed his chance to restore Farway’s two goal advantage, firing past the far post when well placed inside the box. Farway were to regret that miss as, in the 69th minute, Ethan Matthews picking up a loose ball from a throw in and passed his shot through the legs of Kaye to complete the Bishops comeback.

Matt Finn had two good chances to win it for Bishops, shooting just over in the 73rd minute and then hitting the post a minute later.

Despite substitutions from both sides there was no further scoring and the match was decided from the penalty spot with Farway taking the Intermediate Cup by 5 goals to 4.

Player of the Match – Ethan Matthews (Bishops Blaize)