Football Degree at Plymouth Marjon University in Association with Devon FA
If you’re loving the World Cup and are feeling inspired to follow a career in football then the BA (Hons) Football Development & Coaching course at Plymouth Marjon University will help you to make this happen.
It is packed with real-life, hands-on experience, allowing you plenty of opportunity to put theory into practice.
Plymouth Marjon University work with Devon FA and Argyle Community Trust, to ensure that you have the best learning experience as sessions delivered by both academic tutors and industry professionals.
Why this course at Marjon?
• They have close partnerships with Plymouth Argyle’s Community Trust and Devon FA so you'll get real world experience of working in football.
• You'll gain coaching qualifications such as FA level 1 and 2, Coaching Disabled footballers, SCUK Safeguarding and Street Games qualifications.
• You can work part-time for Plymouth Argyle Community Trust alongside your studies.
• A placement during the second year develops your skills and employability for the football and sports sectors.
• You get to run football events and develop football marketing plans.
• You’ll go on field trips that take you behind-the-scenes to explore how professional football clubs are run.
• A License FA Coaches, FA Coach Mentors, and ex-professional footballers make up the teaching team, along with our experienced professionals from Plymouth Argyle’s Community Trust.
What might you become?
Graduates have the opportunity to work in professional football clubs, commercial coaching providers, charitable sector or in the public sector for local authorities, within schools, school sport partnerships or county sport partnerships.
A number of our graduates now work for the FA and Plymouth Argyle Community Trust in a variety of football development, social inclusion (disability football, women and girls football), football coaching, and educational roles.
Some students have gone on to take postgraduate teaching qualifications to become primary or secondary teachers. Given the global nature of the football industry the world really is your oyster!
County Development Manager at Devon, Chris French; “Through our partnership on this degree programme we work with Marjon and Plymouth Argyle to provide real life industry information and placements throughout the 3 years.
“This provides students on the course to understand football development both through a Community Trust and County FA and setting themselves up for future employment.
“As an employer we look for students that have gone beyond their degree and gain experience during their studies. At Marjon students are given this opportunity through this partnership as well as working with local community clubs.
“Devon FA currently employs 3 former Marjon students and provides placements each year to students on the degree course.”
Recent graduate at Marjon, Matt Cory, now works for Devon FA in Newton Abbot as a Football Development Officer, he says his passion for football was the main reason he graduated at Marjons; “Having a job in football, something I am passionate about, makes every day at work enjoyable. In Sport Development, no day is the same as the previous one; it is challenging but also very rewarding.
“The range of lectures, seminars, practical sessions and voluntary opportunities at Marjon helped me to improve my transferrable skills which employers look for.
“The contacts I made on placement and the support I gained from the lectures both contributed to me succeeding in finding a job in the industry.”
To see more information on the course please click the link below: