• Home
  • News
  • Alphington Youth 1 - 3 Plymstock United Colts - Devon U13 Boys County Cup Final 2018
plymstock winning

Alphington Youth 1 - 3 Plymstock United Colts - Devon U13 Boys County Cup Final 2018

S&D General Maintenance Devon Under 13 Boys Cup Final

Alphington Youth 1 - 3 Plymstock United Colts


On a slightly bitter and rain-felt night, Alphington Youth took on Plymstock United Colts to see who’ll lift the S&D General Maintenance Devon U13 Boys County Cup.

pre match avp

The match started very cagily start with neither team being able to take firm control of the game still testing each other out. 

The first real chance of the game fell to Plymstock Colts, when Noah Maund received the ball just inside the penalty area looked up and hit a good strike but Alphington’s keeper Ben Scott saved well and held on to the ball. 

Alphington were trying hard to put some good passing moves together but kept running into the strong physically bigger Plymstock defence and from one of these defensive interceptions they carved another good chance when the ball fell to Luca Tsianavas who cracked off a strike at goal only for Scott to save again.


Alphington had their best chance in the eighteenth minute when they were awarded a free kick, Kofi Firth who had been their coleuses at the back, dinked in a ball right into the danger spot but was well defended by Joe Cook who cleared the danger. 

Plymstock’s Callum Bleasdale cleverly fashioned himself a chance when he ran at the Alphington defence and hit a good shot only for the impressive Scott to save again. 

Alphington won themselves a corner in the twentieth minute it was taken by Freddie Bridger the ball was partially cleared but fell to that man Firth who was lurking just inside the area who took a touch and the cracked home the ball to give his team the lead. 

alphington goal

Plymstock were trying their hardest to get back into the match but now it was the Alphington defence that was standing firm against a Plymstock barrage with shots coming in from captain Colby Collier, Bleasdale and Liam Raglan all defended by Scott and his defenders. 

With the interval fast approaching, Alphington carved out their best chance of the half, Bridger found himself free but unfortunately for him his shot flew over the bar. 

The half ended with Alphington leading 1-0, a score which was a little against the run of play. The second half began with Plymstock hoping they could capitalise on their possession and square the game up and Alphington knowing they would be under the Plymstock cosh. 

Plymstock won themselves a corner in the forty-ninth minute which was taken and well defended but it led to a massive scramble and was finally cleared much to their relief. 

On the hour Plymstock won a free kick just outside the area the defence set their four-man wall Collier stepped up a took it but lifted his shot over the wall and over the bar. 

With two minutes remaining, Alphington faced a Plymstock siege and Plymstock got their reward when Brandon Gavican-Lapthorne fired home a low shot into the corner of the Alphington goal.

avp tackle

There would be three minutes of added time but the second half ended all square sending the match into extra time. 

The first chance in extra time fell to Jacob Smith but the superb Scott saved again he was called into action two minutes later saving from Bleasdale again. 

The first half of extra time ended the score line unchanged. 

Plymstock attacked down the left and Alphington’s rock, Firth, came over to defend and an accidental clash of legs saw collapse in agony clutching his knee the ref stopped the game and called on the physio. 

There was some concern over the injury and after about five minutes a trained medic came on and then called for a stretcher Firth was carried from the field with loud applause from both sets of supporters. 

There would now be two minutes of injury time from the drop ball restart the ball came to the feet of Smith who shifted it to his right foot a fired home from about ten yards giving Plymstock the lead with less than a minute to play. 

Alphington were visibly stunned by the goal the goal and from the restart they lost possession to Bleasedale, who gigged his way towards goal and flicked the ball into the net. 

The game restarted but within seconds the ref blew the final whistle Plymstock had won the County Cup 3-1.

Man of the Match: Kofi Firth (Alphington Youth)

plymstock winning

The next match at Coach Road will be the Edenvale Turf St. Luke’s Cup between Bideford AFC and Plymouth Parkway – kick off 7:30pm – gates open at 6pm.

To view a full gallery of match photos please click the link below

alphington youth 1 - 3 plymstock united colts match gallery

All photos are courtesy of Miracle PR & Photography